Monday, February 24, 2014

Day 2 in Barcelona- not going according to plan

I learned today that is important to just go with the flow when you are on the road.  After yet another night of horrible sleep, I woke up at 6:45, which was way too early.  The half bottle of wine and one other beverage were not helping me feel any better either.  Ugh.  After a light breakfast we headed up to the room so that Nick could head to the conference and I could find a pool to swim at.  Oh, I must note that I tried a piece of the famous Jamon at breakfast and was shocked that I really did not like it.  I like virtually all pork products, but a pig leg left out to cure for god knows how long apparently doesn't do it for me (the hoof was still attached to the piece of meat they were carving up!).  Oh well, at least I tried it.  I certainly won't be trying any seafood while I'm here if Ican avoid it!  regardless, after breakfast I was not feeling so hot, but I was determined to swim!

The hotel staff found a pool I could swim at, after much internet search (I had tried previously to find one on my own with no luck).  I was to hop on the metro, go a few stops, and then climb Montjuik.  Simple enough, right?  Haha.  Of course I hopped on the metro going the wrong way,so I had to get off at the first stop and walk around to the other side of the station to go the correct way.  I got off the train at the correct stop and was suddenly at the chaos of MWC.  I headed in what I thought was the correct direction since it was towards a hill and was feeling confident that I finally made the right navigational decision.  Unfortunately, I was correct.  Up and up and up I climbed, there were even ESCALATORS  to assist!  I finally made it to the top, and was very impressed with my hard work.  The view was amazing and totally worth the effort!  I continued on, and after turning too soon for the pool realized I was going to have to walk way out of my way to get to the entrance at that point.  And it was almost 11 am, and I was expecting Roberto to call me at 11:30 so I needed to be in wifi coverage (which is not plentiful in Barcelona, FYI).  At 12 euros to get in and swim, I decided I was happy enough knowing I made it to the top of Montjuic and started to rush off to the hotel for wifi.  Oh well, I tried! And now I know where to go in the morning if I'm rested and hydrated enough to swim.  For 12 euros I'll be swimming 3 hours to get my money's worth!

I showered at the hotel (you can imagine I was a mess after such a hike!), and started to read my book.   I quickly passed out and awoke to the ringing phone.  It was 12:30 and Roberto was on the line!  I couldn't believe it, since my phone messaging was not working,  and I knew that Roberto had had a few drinks the night before too.  We met shortly thereafter; I was thankful I had a chance to snooze a bit before heading to Park Guel.

We hopped on the subway and headed the opposite direction I had gone earlier in the morning.  We climbed and climbed and climbed our way up another hill (which also had escalators!).  We were both hurting (my stomach was feeling muy mal), so we walked slowly.  We made it to the top and were rewarded with an even more spectacular view of the city.  Amazing!  While up there, I recognized some men who had eaten breakfast next to me and Nick that morning (one had on a Samsung jacket), so I started talking to them.  They knew who Nick was, small world!

Roberto and I took some photos and meandered slowly around the park; we both decided paying the entry fee of 8 euros was not worth it (roberto is sensible about money too), and we were happy with what we saw.  We headed back down the hill to the subway in search of lunch at La Rambla.
The view from Park Guell

Gaudi designed this park

Another Gaudi building at the park

This reminded me of a gingerbread house!


We enjoyed a great lunch and good conversation and then parted ways at the hotel.  We are going to visit Sagrada de Familia tomorrow around 1:00 so I'll have time to swim.  Not sure if I'll have time to squeeze anything else in.  I did some window shoppping late this afternoon, even though Ihave no room in my bag for anything.  I'm going to buy some perfume though,  and I wanted to buy some clothes at Mango and Zara but refrained.  Cute stuff for good prices!  Top Shop was overrated;poor quality and high prices!  Every place I went I was greeted in Spanish by the shopkeepers though; Imust look like a native but I sure as hell don't sound like one!!!  I have the worst spanish accent ever.

Oh, I also happened upon a cool market while wandering around.  It is rows of stalls filled with fruits, vegetables, fish, meats, etc...  Kind of like Pike Place Market but without the flowers and homeless people.  Anyways, the fruit stands have so many different kinds of freshly squeezed juicces available to purchase for 1 euro (they are 2 euro if purchased closer to the entrance to the market), and they also have a snacksized portion of cut up fruits to buy as well.  Those were 1 euro too.  So I got one of each for my afternoon snack, much healthier than the cookie or croissant I had been seeking out!

I headed back to the hotel and got to see Nick briefly before he headed out to more events tonight.  I am sure I will be asleep before he gets home tonight.  I'm going to head out to dinner by myself; hopefully I can find something good. I saw many places while Iwas wondering around this afternoon and I doubt I'll be able to find them again.  I'm going to try though!  More updates tomorrow, and maybe I'll learn how to download photos so you can see more of berlin and barcelona.  Adios!  

No comments:

Post a Comment